Plums are considered drupes, which means they contain a hard stone pit around the seed and have soft flesh. They are a little underestimated in our opinion; plums are super tasty and very healthy! They are a very good source of vitamin C and also a good way to score some vitamin A too.
Our tip: eat them more often!
Did you know…?
- Plums grow well in many temperature climates throughout the world.
- That they are a very good source of vitamin C, B2, A, potassium, iron and dietary fiber?
- They are also high in antioxidants, but make sure you choose a ripe plum: the ripest ones have the highest antioxidant concentration.
- Prunes (dried plums) have the highest rating of fruits on the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity test, which is used to rank antioxidant sources.
- With over 2000 varieties worldwide, you will find plums in a wide range of saturated skin colors including red, purple, blue-black, green and amber.
- The flesh of a plum can be yellow, green, pink, red or a bit orang-y.
- If you haven’t had plums cooked, baked, poached, grilled or stewed – you are missing out! They are very suitable to use in dishes: for instance on a BBQ skewer with spiced chicken or pork meat.
Plums from Spain and RSA, almost yearround availability
Plums are originally from Small Asia. The Romans most likely brought them to Europe. In Murcia, Spain, there are remains of plum trees found from the third century AD!
Plums grow on trees that can reach 3 to 7 meters in height. They weigh around 100 grams each. Our plums come from a.o. Spain and South Africa, where we can find the perfect climate for juicy and tasty fruit.
The Dutch consumer greatly appreciates our plums, as our figures show. Where the stonefruit category is struggling and the volume has decreased by 17% *, plums are doing very well. Consumers bought 21% * more plums and even spent 29% ** more. The good taste in combination with the ease of consumption and healthy properties make our plums so popular!
Plums are fruits that are very suitable for today's consumer. They are easy to eat on the go, are very healthy, good for the immune system and are extremely versatile in the kitchen. We expect that the popularity of the fruit will increase even more. Our Spanish plums are available from week 23 until week 43 and our RSA plums are here for you from week 50 until week 20. Do you want more information? Do not hesitate to contact us to discuss options and possibilities in terms of volume and packaging.
Plums in the spotlight
We put one of our products in the spotlight twice a month. We look at the best facts, most interesting specifications and are happy to explain why we are so enthusiastic about our products. Do you want to know more? Contact us and keep an eye on our socials!
Recipe: Plum BBQ sauce
Plums offer many possibilities in de kitchen. They are suitable for both sweet and hearty dishes and a perfect base for a sauce. Have you ever tried this before? A perfect match for instance for pork ribs, whole roasted chicken or grilled veal from the BBQ.
1 kg plums de-seeded
3 tsp 5 spices (spice mix)
150 ml water
1 tsp grated ginger
150 g brown sugar
200 ml rice vinegar
1/2 brown onion diced
2 sprigs thyme
100 ml bourbon
1/2 lemon juiced
1 tsp salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper
Place all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer on medium heat for 25-30 minutes. Remove the thyme and blend! Store in an airtight container in the fridge until use. Your homemade BBQ sauce will keep in the fridge for 10 days until 2 weeks.