This rhubarb compote is wonderful to have around, whether you eat it on pancakes, yogurt or just a spoon, We know you will want to eat lots and lots of it. By making a big batch of compote, you can freeze in smaller portions and then enjoy for months to come.
- Cook the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, undisturbed, until mostly melted (6–8 minutes)
- Stir edges into the center with a heatproof spatula; cook, swirling pan occasionally, until caramel turns dark amber, about 2 minutes
- Stir in rhubarb and 3 Tbsp. vinegar. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is very soft, 8–10 minutes
- Transfer it to a small bowl and let it cool
- Stir in remaining 1 tsp. vinegar, season to taste with salt and pepper